Sunday, April 4, 2010

SLAW

I'm gonna make me some REAL GOOD slaw! It has been two months since we've had any. When we're at our beach place, we absolutely abhor the "coleslaw" that is for sale and we've tried it from Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, Kroger's, Bi-Lo, Lowe's Foods, and several fast food businesses.

They just don't get it! First of all, it is NOT shredded finely enough. Second, it is absolutely tasteless. Slaw should NOT contain any peppers, red or green, never onions or celery, and mustard - UGH!!

Coleslaw ingredients should be only green cabbage, a carrot, celery seed, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, sugar, black pepper and real mayonnaise!

Since I don't use a recipe for amounts, I'll not try to explain how much of each I use, but I do make the cabbage very very fine, the carrot very fine, and put the rest in a separate container, mixing and tasting as I go.
The mixture is then poured over the shreds and aged in the refrigerator for several hours - at least!

Now I no longer shave off the tip of my thumb (OW! @#$%%^&!) when using the Bluffton tool. It was my husband's mother's and is still functional, but dangerous. I have a food processor that does the job fast and fine!


Back and Front Views
Today's lesson:

Bluffton Slaw Cutter

Manufacturing one of the best Cutters and Graters in the world has been the goal of The Bluffton Slaw Cutter Company since it's founding in 1915. This is achieved by hammered blades that wear sharp with use. These tools are a life-time investment and are efficient, hand-operated and easy to use and clean. The user controls the texture and thickness of fruits and vegetable by pressure and speed. Major markets of the Bluffton, Ohio Company are the United States, Canada and Japan.

AKA/ Kraut Cutter: Fast-sweep pattern, speeds operation.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, Gere...loved this! Welcome to blogging! I actually love to make my own cole slaw, and I use most of the ingredients you do, and I only like slaw in very small 'squares' - not long shreds. Mmmm - makes me want some now! Anyway, welcome and thanks for including me! Jen

    ReplyDelete