Monday, January 17, 2011

French Toast - Make Do

Simple - bread, milk, eggs and a skillet. Perhaps a touch of cinnamon, or nutmeg too. Maybe a little vanilla. I use a Lodge cast iron type of skillet, but the older Griswold works better.


When properly browned on both sides, butter generously. I said BUTTER! Not margarine!


Pour pure maple syrup liberally over tops. No pure maple syrup? Then pour clover honey. No clover honey? Then pour Grandma's Molasses. No Grandma's Molasses? Try Caro. All gone. Then pour store bought pancake syrup. None of that? How about sprinkling brown sugar? None? Try white sugar. Not enough to spare? Try using confectioner's sugar. Out of it! Well, then a lavish amount of jam or jelly will do. Nope? Get out the fruit - peaches, strawberries, bananas, berries, apples, nuts? Missing also? All I can say is quit yer cryin' and eat it plain and thanks to at least having bread, milk, eggs and a skillet.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Gere. I love French Toast but I rarely make it. Now I am hungry and want some. I do have most of the stuff mentioned except molasses.

    ReplyDelete