Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reactions are Rewarding

I started something! The reactions to my cabin blogs are wonderful. Now I know why I was compelled to write them. Many are sent to my "regular" e-mail address and several things were clarified, too.

Two neighborhood siblings remember their grandmother being the victim of an overshot dart from the living room into the bedroom behind the partition when they were staying at the cabin for a while. It landed in her wig! Their sister remembers the dog who liked to taunt the children while swimming. She also remembers the jelly making projects with me. One remembers the cleaning of rabbits in the old sink, plus seeing the "egg factory" of a hen being cleaned at the kitchen table and my mother showing what's inside it. The lazy susan that was, and still is, on the kitchen table fascinated one young girl. She shared the name but resented the lazy part. They remember the horsehoe pits and vying for time there; also playing Frisbie when adults were throwing horseshoes. The old horseshoes and stakes are in our utility closet today and haven't been used in decades. Today, these sisters are both elementary schoolteachers. Their "homey" feelings and remembering a welcoming place where so many people came and went were expressed with love.

One friend reminds me that she was there too, when the mouse ran across the mantel and left a scary shadow. She also described the fishing incident where SHE caught the turtle on her line while in a canoe with my brother and the demise of the critter afterwards. It was THE turtle that was later cooked and eaten. She told me that my mom claimed the turtle contained seven delicacies but, being a city girl, didn't want anything to do with actually eating it. No Way! Now I know. I didn't know that!

Their messages and descriptions have made the memories even more important. I wish ALL the children and visitors to Cabin Tranquillity would tell me more!

2 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed these posts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the day that Dad and Ed were replacing the ceiling fan in the cabin. Since it required a ladder they asked me if I would replace the unit for them. Sure..no problem. When asked, they assured me that the electricity was turned off at the panel box. (You can probably figure out the rest of the story.) As the electricity ran through my body they both erupted into a knee-slapping laughter. "Guess we flipped the wrong breaker Ed!"

    ReplyDelete